REC vs Canadian Solar panels
- 20 Mar 2023
- 5 min
Let’s compare two popular Tier 1 solar brands: one is from Norway, and the other is from Canada. REC is famous for its premium-class solar panels for home. Canadian Solar makes all kinds of PV modules for any project. Which one does a better job? Here is our REC vs Canadian Solar panels.
What we know about the REC solar panel brand
REC Solar is a Norwegian solar power company that was founded in 1996. The company initially focused on producing wafers and cells for the solar industry, and later expanded to offer solar modules and systems to customers around the world. Today, REC Solar is a leading provider of solar energy solutions, with a global presence and a commitment to sustainability and innovation. The panels from REC are manufactured in Singapore and Norway.
What we know about the Canadian Solar panel brand
Canadian Solar is a solar power company founded in Canada in 2001 by Dr. Shawn Qu. The company began by providing solar modules to customers in Canada and later expanded to offer solar products and services to customers around the world. Today, Canadian Solar is one of the world's largest solar power companies, with a global presence and a range of products and services related to solar power.
The company's first solar project was completed in 2003 in Germany, and since then, Canadian Solar has continued to expand its operations and grow its business. In 2006, the company became a publicly traded company and listed its shares on the NASDAQ stock exchange.
REC solar panels vs Canadian Solar panels: Pros and Cons
Here’s a list of advantages and disadvantages of panels from these two brands. This will make it easier to compare REC vs Canadian Solar panels.
|REC solar panels
|Canadian Solar panels
1. High efficiency up to 22% enables you to make the best use of the space you have.
2. Triple 25-year warranties for product, performance, and labor are available for certain REC panels.
3. Great quality. Only 1 in 10,000 REC panels fail.
4. Low degradation rate. The most recent REC panels have an annual power loss of only 0.25 percent and a power retention of over 92% after 25 years.
1. Above-average efficiency. Canadian Solar's panels achieve a conversion rate of up to 22%, which is well above the market average. High efficiency means you can build high-performance systems with less space and fewer panels than you would need with lower-class panels.
2. Better protection against hotspots and micro-cracks.
3. Excellent low-light performance. They work well even in winter!
4. Diverse product line. Canadian Solar offers all types of modules. They continue to develop and improve polycrystalline modules that can save you some money. In addition to the standard monofacial modules, there are also bifacial modules that offer up to 30% more power.
1. REC solar panels are not intended for use in Industrial-scale installations.
2. The cost of REC solar panels is high.
1. After The Globe and Mail's 2021 report, there was a lot of controversy surrounding Canadian Solar. The media revealed that the company was operating a solar farm in Xinjiang, China, near the Uighur internment camp. Journalists also alleged that Canadian Solar works with polysilicon manufacturer GCL-Poly, whose subsidiary in Xinjiang is accused of forced labor. The company denies the allegations.
Best solar panel REC vs Best solar panel Canadian Solar: By A1SolarStore
Here are two solar panels that you can use for your home or for your business. You can compare the two and decide which brand is better.
REC Alpha Pure black
Here is an amazing 132-cell solar panel for all kinds of solar projects. The efficiency of these 400W panels is up to 21.9%. Thanks to its high power density, you can make full use of your space - this particular panel delivers 20.1 W per square foot. Heterojunction cell technology ensures high performance at high temperatures. The module loses only 0.25% of its power annually and retains 92% of its production after 25 years. The module is backed by a triple 25-year labor, performance and product warranty when you use REC installation services.
Canadian Solar 400W CS1Y-400MS
The Canadian Solar HiDM5 is an all-black panel for all types of applications. It offers 400 W of power with an efficiency of 19.9%. The module is a good choice for cold, snowy regions: It can withstand a snow load of 5400 Pa and a wind load of 2400 Pa. The module has 3 bypass diodes and the manufacturer promises better shade tolerance. The trump card of this model is, of course, its eye-catching all-black design: the module will look good on any roof. It comes with a 15-year product warranty on materials and workmanship and a 25-year performance warranty.
Learn about the latest arrivals and discounts first!