How to clean solar panels on roof
- 13 Aug 2023
- 4 min
Over time, solar panels can accumulate dirt, dust, pollen, bird droppings, and other debris, which can reduce their efficiency. Studies have shown that dirty solar panels can experience up to a 25% reduction in energy generation, making regular maintenance crucial. In this article, we will discuss how to clean solar panels on the roof effectively and safely.
Precautions before cleaning
Climbing on a roof is quite a dangerous task, and here are some things you’ll need to provide a basic level of safety for you:
• Use a sturdy ladder: Place the ladder on a flat and stable surface, and always have someone hold the base while you climb.
• Wear appropriate footwear: Choose non-slip shoes or boots and don’t wear sandals or flip-flops, no matter how comfortable they are.
• Use safety equipment: Consider using safety equipment like harnesses to prevent serious injuries in case of a fall.
• Have a spotter: If possible, have someone else on the ground to keep an eye on you while you’re on the roof. They can provide assistance if needed and can quickly call for help in case of an emergency.
Before attempting to clean your solar panels, consider also the following:
• Choose the right time: Plan to clean your solar panels during cooler hours of the day, like early morning or late afternoon, to prevent thermal shock and damage to the panels.
• Turn off the power: Make sure to turn off the solar system to avoid potential electrical hazards while cleaning.
• Prepare your cleaning kit: You may need a leaf blower, soft brush or sponge, solar panel cleaning solution, garden hose, and a squeegee.
Step-by-step guide to cleaning solar panels on the roof
So you’ve prepared all you may need, and now it’s time to climb on your roof and do the job:
• Remove loose debris: Gently blow or brush off any loose debris, such as leaves or twigs, from the surface of the solar panels.
• Wet the solar panels: Use a hose to wet the solar panels thoroughly. This will help loosen stubborn dirt and grime.
• Apply the cleaning solution: Gently scrub the surface of the panels with a soft-bristled brush, starting from the top and working your way down. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals, as they may damage the glass.
• Rinse off the cleaning solution: Hose down the cleaning solution, making sure no soap residue is left behind.
• Dry the panels: Use a squeegee to dry the solar panels, removing any remaining water or streaks. Don’t turn the panels on right after the cleaning. Give them about half an hour to get completely dry.
• Check for any issues: After cleaning, inspect the solar panels for any signs of damage or defects. If you notice any cracks or other issues, contact a professional for repairs.
Now your panels are crystal-clear and you know how to clean solar panels on the roof. For more information about cleaning, read our article on how to clean solar panels properly.
Learn about the latest arrivals and discounts first!