- TypeLi-Ion batteries
Pickup at 7 locations or US shipping
Lithium ion batteries can be found everywhere: in laptops, cell phones, and even electric cars. They are a combination of great capacity and small size. All lithium ion batteries are deep-cycle: you can fully charge and discharge them a number of times. This is why a solar lithium ion battery is a common choice among those who decide to go solar.
Anatomy of lithium ion solar battery
Lithium ion batteries consist of:
- Anode and cathode, which store the lithium;
- Separator, which is designed to block the electrons flowing within the battery;
- Electrolyte, which carries positively charged lithium ions from the anode to the cathode and back via the separator;
- Positive and negative current collectors.
When the battery is getting discharged, the anode releases lithium ions to the cathode, which generates a flow of electrons moving from one side to the other. When the battery is charging, the cathode releases lithium ions to the anode. The battery is thought to be fully charged when no more ions flow. If all the ions have moved back, it means the battery has fully discharged.
How to size Li ion battery for solar PV system
When sizing your lithium ion solar battery, plan what you are going to do with it. For example, if you need energy storage as a backup in case of power outage, first calculate your daily energy needs. To do that, use electrical meters, look at your recent electricity bills or multiply the power ratings of your household appliances by their hours in use one by one. If you want your battery to cover your energy needs for one day or more, multiply your daily needs by the number of days you plan to use your battery.
When you choose a lithium ion battery, solar experts also recommend taking into account its depth of discharge (DOD) — solar batteries should not be discharged below a certain level on a regular basis. A huge advantage of a lithium ion solar battery is that it can be discharged by 80% and recharged back again. However, remember that constant deep discharge leads to an early death of a battery.
- Higher DoD (depth of discharge): li ion solar batteries have DoDs around 80-90%, while most lead acid batteries only have a DoD of 50%.
- Longer lifespan: lithium ion batteries aren’t often recharged due to their high DOD, which explains their typically long cycle life of about 10,000 cycles.
- Higher density: li ion batteries can store a lot of power while taking up very little space.
- Higher efficiency: between 90 and 95%.
- No maintenance.
- Higher cost: lithium ion batteries are usually much more expensive than lead acid batteries.
- Thermal runaway: li ion batteries are at a higher risk to catch on fire, but only if installed improperly.
Find lithium ion batteries for your solar PV system at A1SolarStore
- Our warehouses are located on both east and west coasts of the USA: California, Washington, Colorado, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, and Missouri
- We process all orders within 24 hours and ship them within 48 hours
- Delivery normally takes between 4-7 business days
- All of our suppliers are trusted solar panel manufacturers
Free and usefull digest on solar energy. No spam