REC vs Tesla solar panels
- 18 Mar 2023
- 6 min
One of the most famous European solar brands goes up against Tesla Energy, Elon Musk’s enterprise. Which brand makes better solar panels? Let’s find out in our REC vs Tesla solar panels comparison.
What we know about the REC solar panel brand
REC Solar is a Norwegian solar energy company that was founded in 1996. In 2007, REC Solar opened its first solar panel manufacturing facility in Singapore, with a production capacity of 740 megawatts (MW) per year. The company continued to expand, opening additional manufacturing facilities in Norway, the United States, and Singapore, as well as research and development centers in Norway and Singapore. In 2010, REC Solar became the first solar company to offer a product warranty that covered the performance of its solar panels for 25 years.
In 2015, the Chinese solar energy company, China National Chemical Corporation (ChemChina), acquired a controlling stake in REC Solar, which helped the company expand its global reach and increase its production capacity. ChemChina also helped to finance the development of a new solar panel manufacturing facility in Singapore, which opened in 2018 with a production capacity of 1.3 GW per year.
What we know about the Tesla solar panel brand
Tesla Energy is a division of Tesla Inc. that focuses on developing and producing sustainable energy solutions. The company offers a range of products, including solar panels, energy storage systems, and electric vehicle charging stations.
Tesla Energy's history dates back to 2015 when Tesla announced the launch of its home battery product, the Powerwall. The Powerwall is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery designed to store energy generated from solar panels or from the grid during off-peak hours when electricity is cheaper. The stored energy can then be used during peak hours or during power outages.
In 2016, Tesla acquired SolarCity, a solar panel installation company co-founded by Elon Musk, who is also the CEO of Tesla. Since the acquisition, Tesla has expanded its solar offerings to include solar roofs, which are made up of tiles that resemble traditional roofing materials but are actually solar panels. These solar tiles can be integrated into a home's design and generate electricity while still providing the same level of protection and durability as a traditional roof.
REC solar panels vs Tesla solar panels: Pros and Cons
Here’s a list of advantages and disadvantages of panels from these two brands. This will make it easier to compare REC vs Tesla solar panels.
|REC solar panels||Tesla solar panels|
1. Panels are efficient with up to 22% conversion rate and that helps save space on your roof.
2. Great qualities and warranties: some panels are eligible for triple 25-year warranty.
3. REC Solar panels degrade slower than most panels. The most modern Alpha panels lose only 0.25% of output per year.
4. High quality. REC panels go through third party testing, they are protected by solid warranties and their failure rate is 1 in 10,000.
1. Inexpensive. Tesla solar panel systems cost between $2 and $3 per watt, not including installation costs or tax credits.
2. Good monitoring system. With the mobile app from Tesla, you can keep an eye on your energy usage and production, providing you total control and understanding of your energy system.
3. Name brand. Using Tesla products is appealing in itself because the corporation positions itself as one of the pioneers of the green energy switch movement.
1. REC panels can be more expensive than PV modules from other manufacturers.
2. REC panels are primarily designed for home systems and not solar farms or industrial-scope projects.
1. Poor customer service. Tesla customer service can be difficult to reach, and some installers may not be unprofessional. Sometimes installing the system may take months.
2. Restricted accessibility. The products made by Tesla aren't available in all places. Moreover, the supply may not keep up with demand in the US.
3. Zero retail. Tesla does not sell solar panels that you can purchase and install anyway you like.
4. Shallow line of products. In fact, Tesla only provides one solar panel model.
Best solar panel REC vs Best solar panel Tesla: By A1SolarStore
Let’s compare the panels that Tesla and REC put out on the market. A standard home panel from Tesla Energy goes up against the superhit from REC — Alpha panel.
Tesla solar panels
Depending on the variation, Tesla solar panels for home produce between 420 and 430 W of power. The highest efficiency is 19.8%. The panels look fashionable thanks to their all-black design. They come with a 25-year warranty for both product and performance — expect them to keep more than 85% of their output by the end of year 25.
REC Alpha Pure black
REC Alpha panels use half-cut cell technology, which means that the solar cells are cut in half and connected in a way that reduces energy loss and improves performance. They have a module efficiency of up to 21.9%, which is higher than most other solar panels on the market. This means that it can produce more power from the same amount of sunlight, making it a good option for homes and businesses with limited roof space or for those looking to maximize their solar energy output.
In addition to its high efficiency, the REC Alpha panel is also known for its durability and reliability. It is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, high winds, and heavy snow loads. The panels are also backed by a 25-year product warranty, which covers any defects in materials or workmanship.
Learn about the latest arrivals and discounts first!