REC solar panels vs Sunpower
- 18 Mar 2023
- 7 min
Solar panels have become a popular choice for households and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and energy bills. As a result, many companies have entered the solar panel market, each with its own unique technology and selling points. Two such companies that are often compared are SunPower and REC.
SunPower is a well-established American company that has been producing solar panels for over 30 years, while REC is a Norwegian company that has been in the solar industry for over 20 years. In this article, we will compare the two companies' solar panels in terms of their efficiency, durability, warranty, and overall value.
What we know about the REC solar panel brand
REC is a leading solar panel brand that was founded in 1996 in Norway. The company initially began as a wafer producer, supplying wafers to the semiconductor industry. In 2002, REC shifted its focus to the solar industry and began producing solar cells. By 2005, REC started manufacturing solar panels, which became the main focus of the company.
REC's solar panels quickly gained a reputation for their high efficiency and reliability. The company continued to expand its production facilities and opened its first solar panel manufacturing plant in Singapore in 2010. In 2014, REC opened a second manufacturing plant in Singapore and an additional facility in Norway.
In 2015, REC was acquired by the Chinese state-owned enterprise China National Chemical Corporation (ChemChina) for $640 million. ChemChina later merged with Sinochem in 2021 to create Sinochem Group.
Today, REC is headquartered in Norway and has a global presence, with production facilities in Singapore and Norway and sales offices in Europe, the Americas, Asia, and the Middle East. The company is known for producing high-quality solar panels with a focus on sustainability and innovation. In recent years, REC has also expanded into the energy storage market with its Smart Module technology, which integrates a battery pack into the solar panel.
What we know about the Sunpower Solar panel brand
SunPower is a leading solar panel brand that was founded in 1985 by Richard Swanson and Richard Crane, two Stanford University professors. The company was originally a research organization focused on solar technology and energy conversion. In 1988, SunPower developed its first solar cell with a record-breaking efficiency of 20%, a significant milestone in the solar industry at that time.
In the early 1990s, SunPower shifted its focus to commercializing its solar technology and began producing solar panels. By 1995, the company had launched its first commercial product, a 25-watt solar panel, and began to build a reputation for its high-efficiency solar technology.
In recent years, SunPower has expanded into the energy storage market with its SunPower Equinox Home Solar + Storage system, which combines solar panels with energy storage to provide reliable, clean energy for homes. SunPower is also focused on sustainability, with a goal to become a carbon-neutral company by 2025.
REC solar panels vs Sunpower Solar panels: Pros and Cons
We decided to list the advantages and disadvantages of the two brands’ products in a table. This will help you figure out which one you’ll like more and make the comparison between REC solar panels vs Sunpower easier.
|REC solar panels||Sunpower Solar panels|
1. High efficiency: REC solar panels have a high-efficiency rating, which means they can convert more sunlight into electricity. They can also perform well in low-light conditions.
2. Durability: REC solar panels are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions such as heavy snow loads and wind, which makes them durable and long-lasting.
3. Warranty: REC solar panels come with a warranty of up to 25 years, which means they are a good long-term investment.
4. Sustainable: REC solar panels are designed to be eco-friendly and can help reduce your carbon footprint.
1. The highest efficiency. SunPower modules are known for being the most efficient in the industry, which means they can convert more sunlight into electricity. At the end of 2022, the highest achieved value was 22.8% conversion rate.
2. First-class warranties. The brand offers a 40-year product and performance warranty for certain models and a 25-year warranty for all other models. The panels retain over 88% of their performance even after 40 years.
3. Amazing quality and reputation. SunPower solar panel reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and the brand is well-liked by experts and customers.
4. American design. The panels are assembled in Asia, but the design comes from American engineers. Also, it's nice to know that the history of a company comes from Silicon Valley and the genius of a Stanford professor.
5. Wide product range. SunPower Maxeon primarily offers panels for residential buildings, but it also has flexible panels, high-performance panels for commercial installations and bifacial panels. The company also offers energy storage systems.
1. Cost: REC solar panels are often more expensive than other brands of solar panels.
2. Availability: Depending on where you live, it may be difficult to find REC solar panels for sale or installation.
1. Cost: SunPower panels can be more expensive than other brands due to their high efficiency and durability. This can make them less accessible for some homeowners or businesses who are on a tight budget.
2. Availability: SunPower panels may be less widely available than other brands in some areas. This can make it harder for consumers to find a local installer who can work with SunPower panels.
3. Installation: SunPower panels may require more specialized installation than other brands due to their unique features. This can make it harder to find an installer who is experienced with installing SunPower panels.
4. Potential issues with mismatch: Since SunPower panels have unique features, including different sizes and electrical characteristics, they may not be compatible with other brands. This could limit your options if you need to replace or add panels later on.
Best solar panel REC vs Best solar panel Sunpower: By A1SolarStore
Let's examine the REC and Sunpower panels. Here are two models that you may use for a home or a commercial system.
REC Alpha Pure Black
Here is an Alpha Black 400 W panel from REC. The efficiency of these panels is up to 21.9%. Thank you to the high power density, you can fully utilize your space - this particular module offers you 20.1 W per square meter. Heterojunction cell technology ensures high performance at high temperatures. The module loses only 0.25% of its power annually and retains 92% of its production even after 25 years. The module is backed by a triple 25-year warranty on labor, performance and product if you use REC installation services. The design is also excellent! The only real downside is the high price.
Maxeon 3 DC, 430 W
Here is a basic module for home installations from Maxeon SunPower with an output of 430 W. Its conversion rate is 22.7%, making it one of the most efficient panels on the market. The module comes with a 40-year warranty on product and performance, and you can expect it to maintain over 88% of its output through year 40.
Learn about the latest arrivals and discounts first!